Monday, October 3, 2016

Self-Observation


Self-Observation
           
When I first read through the description of iExamen 1 I wasn’t exactly sure how I was going to be able to observe myself throughout the day. As ridiculous as it might sound, I didn’t know what it was going to be like when I shut off all of my electronics for an hour. By choice there has never been a specific instance where I shut off all my electronics for an hour. Now a day’s you are surrounded by so many people that are so dependent on their phones. I didn’t think it was going to be too difficult to observe myself, but I knew I was going to have to focus a little more on how I communicated with the people around me.
My self observation took place this past Thursday. I thought this would be the best day to do it because I had two classes, so I could see how I communicated in class and out of class. This observation has made me realize even more how dependent I am on cellphone, as well as, my computer. The first thing I did when I woke up on Thursday morning was I checked my phone and look at all of my messages. After that I scrolled through all my social media apps; Facebook, Instagram and Snap chat. Then I got out of bed and went to check out what my other roommate’s were doing. I greeted them with a “Good morning”. One of them said it back and the other one was too busy studying for her exam that she had later that day. As I walked to class I passed by many people and said “Hi”. Then at others I looked down at my phone because I either wasn’t sure if I should say I or I just didn’t know them well enough. When I walked to class I looked at everyone around me, most of them were on their phones, but there were a few people that were walking in groups and talking to each other. In class, I didn’t have much conversation with anyone besides about the quiz in class, that was done in groups. During that class we aren’t able to use any electronics, which isn’t a big deal because we usually have a lot that we need to get down on our own. My next class was accounting, which I have with a few of my friends. We are able to use our computers in this class, which I sometimes find to be distracting. This past class my friends and I started talking about where we are going for spring break, so I wasn’t able to concentrate as well as I usually do. Our other friends started talking about it in the group chat that we have, which prevented us from listening in class. During this class, my friends and I were texting in a group chat with one another because we weren’t able to talk.

After my two classes were done, I went back to my room and decided that I was going to spend the next hour without any kind of electronics on. I tried making a list of things to do during that hour, that way I could keep myself busy. Although I felt disconnected to all my friends and family, I was able to get a lot of my work done for the next day and even next week. Every time I am doing work I have my computer or phone with me at all times, it becomes more distracting than helpful because I am tempted to check it every couple minutes. Even when I know nothing has changed on social media in the past five minutes. I can honestly say that it felt nice to be disconnected from the world for a short hour. I was able to really concentrate and do my homework well rather than try to just get it done. Not only that, but I was able to get a lot more work done then I thought I could in an hour. At the same time, I felt as if I was missing something during that hour. I had thoughts going on in my head, like “I wonder what everyone is doing right now”. This has made me realize even more how dependent I am on my phone. But I do believe people should turn all electronics off for a couple hours during the week. It truly gives you a time to be on your own and think deeply about yourself and whatever else is going on.   

No comments:

Post a Comment