Monday, October 3, 2016

iExamen 1- Day of Reflection


Self-Observation
            Today I focused on self-observation and reflection. I noticed my communication with strangers, friends, and family. Each interaction, whether it is face-to-face, body language, or technology, differs depending on whom it is with. Evaluating each situation made me realize how second nature communication is.
            Today, Sunday, October 2, 2016 was the last day of Parent’s Weekend. I began my day going to brunch with my boyfriend’s parents at Miss Shirley’s. When I am with Mr. and Mrs. Moore I have a bit more formality. I know them very well, but because they are my boyfriend’s parents and I am more polite and well mannered in their presence. Whenever the waitress, a stranger, came to the table there was a sense of respectfulness. Because she was a stranger and was taking care of us I noticed there was an extra bit of formality- more pleases and thank you’s. First impressions are important and even though you will probably never see your waiter or waitress again, you never want them to think you are impolite.

            After brunch I came back to my room and did not touch my phone, computer, or TV for an hour. During this period of time I noticed I was more attentive to my peers. I was not distracted by the constant notifications my phone normally reminds me of. This lack of distraction allowed me to be more in the moment and fully focus on those around me. Throughout the day I was able to reflect on the power of being in the moment and observe the contact and communication I have on a day-to-day basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment