Monday, October 24, 2016

Mind your community Gap

I found a great connection between the weekly meditation and readings. Shelley’s Frankenstein, and Whitman’s “One's-Self I Sing” and “I Sing the Body Electric” are all fascinating pieces of literature (Mostly Frankenstein). The authors reveal their messages about the body and fitting in as I talk about their themes. Starting with the motif- the body.
            The body, our mind’s automobile: the collection of organs that do not cease to move from conception to natural death (That is, if Victor is not around of course). Meditation, a practice I recently have become involved in, helps us cope with this long haul and accompanying stress. Strain that we literally never get a break from. Shelley’s monster knows all too well of the pains of being in a body that does not seem connected. Furthermore, she illustrates a perfect example of mind-body insecurity. This also comes in many forms. It can be something as simple as the slight discomfort I get from sitting while I meditate, to my bigger issues, like trying to get a summer job. The problem is that you do not know what to do with yourself. You are not connected: you are not in tune with the community: you are not mind-body centered.
            Our authors can help us develop a solution with the practice of meditation in mind. Furthermore, using the example of the monster and the themes from Whitman we can develop our discussion. The Monster is a confused creature, he is moving through this place with confusion and only receiving mixed messages about what is what. It is terribly confusing. Upon finding he is ugly, this completely tears himself from the little organic self that he has left. Often times, I find that I can’t settle myself and focus on positive communication with others. I want to learn from people and become more sociable but I feel self-conscious I must admit. Meditation time lets me debunk this nonsense in my head a bit because it's organized and clear productive thinking. The Monster, I feel, could benefit from meditation.
            Let’s talk Whitman a bit, so we can start to really synthesize these interesting ideas. Whitman is all about the free spirited democracy Bernie Sanders life. From a moral and communal standpoint, not political, I think it is beautiful. Meditation has a way of making people realize this to be true. Whitman in “One's-Self I Sing” directly states that men and women are equal. This truth need not be debated, but its truth is important. Everyone is equal, but he specifically states "men" and "women". Two distinct groups of a bigger one. We need to consider ourselves as parts of the bigger picture and realize we are just as good as everyone else.
Now, the monster is not necessarily human but he has the characteristics and should be considered human based on how he is presented. This brings back the message from meditation that I found. That life can be created and needs to be celebrated no matter how ugly or foreign or otherwise unattractive it may seem.

            “I Sing the Body Electric” gives detailed descriptions of men and women. Which identifies their unique differences only showing that he recognizes each sex’s respective qualities. Meditation is in a room full of both genders and all ages and it couldn't feel more normal that way. Communal living is the key. Gender should be recognized and celebrated, but never divisive.

No comments:

Post a Comment