Sunday, November 20, 2016

The 12th night and a senior capstone project

The 12th night and a senior capstone
            On Monday, November 7 I attended a senior capstone project in which we talked about social justice on our campus and its affect on our institution. The meeting was held in the Humanities building and was very beneficial. I had attended a panel for my Law class on similar concepts previously so I was ready to jump in with my opinions. I was the only student there who was not a senior so the senior presenting was exceptionally grateful for me bringing a piece of diversity to the age group. The other students who attended were mostly in the same class and called the group “Discuss Justice: How does your faith apply to social justice”.
            We first began by introducing ourselves and talking about one thing that makes us different form the other people in the group.  Then our group of about 9 moved on to talk about pre prepared questions. One question I liked was, “Why do you think it is important to have discussions about faith and religion at a private Catholic institution”? Due to my previous experiences I was able to talk about the idea of “safe-spaces” which was discussed in great detail at the panel on social justice. The general conclusion was that when you live in such a  global community, not knowing your “neighbors” would be detrimental to your understanding of the world around you.
            These concepts of social justice can also be applied to William Shakespeare’s work, The Twelfth Night. During Act 1 Scene 2 Viola says, ”I prithee- and I’ll pay thee bounteously- Conceal me what I am, and be my aid  For such disguise as haply shall become the form of my intent. I’ll serve this duke” Viola is completely decided to change herself drastically in order to impersonate one of the Duke’s servants. This ties into my experience at the capstone project because we talked a lot about being comfortable in one’s own skin and acceptance of those around you. It was very interesting to talk about especially considering I didn’t know anybody there.

            There are a few big differences between the talk and the novel by Shakespeare. One major contrast between the two experiences, is the during the project people were trying as hard so they could not to step on anyone’s toes. Meanwhile the characters in this play are unable to see the future and what would be best for the future generations or for themselves in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment